Teaching English in Korea

Looking to teach English in South Korea?

Hi. I’m Paul, aka TastesSeoulGood. I have lived and worked in Korea as an English teacher since 2009. In this entry, I will go over some basic information for teaching in Korea.


Firs, let’s look at WHY you should consider teaching abroad:

  • Expand your world view. There’s nothing like packing all of your belongings into one suitcase and hopping on a plane to live and work abroad.
  • Expand your resume. Teaching English sometimes gets a bad rap. However, if you work hard and take your job seriously, you’ll be rewarded with great opportunities, both personal and professional.
  • Save money. Living in Korea can be cheap. You will most likely receive free housing, and cost of living (can be) inexpensive. With some planning, you can save a decent amount of money.
  • Meet awesome people. Koreans can be great people to know. You’ll also get to meet other foreigners who live here. Everybody has a different story to tell.
  • Travel. You’ll not only have the chance to travel in Korea, but there are many countries just a few hours away via plane. Get out and see the world!
  • The stories you’ll tell. Once you head back to your home country, you’ll find yourself constantly talking about “When I lived in Korea….” Not all the stories will be good, but you’ll definitely walk away with a lot of memories.


FB_IMG_1528775628224 (1)

WHO can teach in Korea?

In order to teach legally in Korea, you’ll need to get an E2 visa. This is valid for 13 months, and allows you to live and work in South Korea. To be eligible for the visa, applicants should:

  1. Be a Native English speaker from USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the UK, or Ireland.
  2. Hold a valid passport.
  3. Have a Bachelor’s degree in any subject
  4. Be able to pass a medical screening
  5. Clean background check (national level)

If you meet all of these requirements, you’ll be able to start your job search. Once you have found an employer, you will need to supply other documents and material. You will do this at the Korean embassy nearest your home. These documents include:

  1. An apostilled copy of your degree
  2. An apostilled copy of a background check
  3. Sealed transcripts
  4. E2 application form
  5. Passport photos
  6. Signed contract
  7. Valid passport
  8. Medical statement


Once you have obtained all of these documents, you’ll be able to make your appointment to receive your visa. Once your visa is in hand, your employer will purchase your plane ticket, and you’ll be on your way to Korea!

While receiving a TESOL certification is not usually required, it is HIGHLY recommended that you obtain one before coming to teach here. Remember – teaching is a skill. If you have never done it, you’ll need to be trained. Just being a native speaker doesn’t qualify you to be an effective teacher.



If you have any immediate questions, please leave them in the comments, or email me at tastesseoulgood@gmail.com  Thanks!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s